Friday, January 25, 2013

Thinking Outside the Box....

....or Oval....

So I'm still working on inking up new stamps and using them for new card designs,  As mentioned in my previous post.  I've even been working on a stamp catalogue so it is easier to figure out what stamps I have without having to look through every single package.  It actually helped a lot with this project... when I was looking for the greeting to use on this card.

I actually looked up some challenges and made a card that would work for 3 different challenges!!!
Kraftin' Kimmie  - A Trio of Embellishments 
Altered Alice - We're All Mad Here, So Anything Goes!!!
Simon Says Stamp - Let's Get Paper Piecing

I started by inking up the Red Queen from Kraftin' Kimmie stamps and colored her with copic markers (E0000, 000, 01, 02, 21, 23, 25 - R20, 22, 24, 27, 29 - N0, 1, 3 & BG0000) and then added a few touches with memento marker rhubarb stalk and stardust pens clear star & red star.  I have been trying to use my red copics more as I need to practice with them. I usually make a mess with them and have to start over.  This one turned out OK, so I was quite happy.  I decided to paper piece the decorative strip on her skirt and her crown.  I used patterned paper from the "swoon" line by Little Yellow Bicycle.
I took this picture at an angle to try and catch the glitter from the stardust pens.  It looks a little messy in the photo but not in person.  I wanted to cut this out with an oval and mat it with a couple of layers.  However the width of the stamp at the bottom posed a problem.  I decided to go with the "outside the box" technique and have the bottom of her dress outside the oval. Then cut a couple of regular ovals to mat the image with.  I took a picture of it so you could see what it looked like without the mats.

I cut mats out in black and red and then decided to use more patterned paper from the LYB "swoon" paper pack for the background.  The paper had sort of a wall paper feel to it with a nice white trim at the bottom but looked kind of plain at the top.  I added a little detail with memento London fog ink and a swirl stamp from the basic grey "flourish corners" stamp set. I cut (cricut - George & basic shapes cartridge) hearts out of the same patterned paper I used on her dress.   The "Love" & "Forever" stamps are from Crafty Secrets stamp sets "mini memories" & "Cherish" the "you" stamp is from the Technique Tuesday "talking in circles" stamp set. I colored the rhinestones with copic R89.

I used 3 hearts and rhinestones in groupings of three for the "trio challenge", but I usually do groupings of three - I just think it looks more balance that way. I love paper piecing - see my Kraftin' Kimmie challenge card from a couple of weeks ago.  I really like how she looks like she is about to step through an archway or perhaps the looking glass!

Well I guess that's it for this post.  I hope to be back with another card in a day or two.  Thanks for stopping by and have a great weekend everyone!

Dee

2 comments:

DonnaMundinger said...

Just gorgeous! Love the outside the box technique and your coloring and paper piecing are fabulous. Thanks for joining us at The Altered Alice. xxD

Lynne Phelps said...

Thanks for playing along with The Altered Alice! I LOVE the outside-the-box cut on her dress, totally perfect union of art and technique! She really does look like she is stepping through the opening. Lovely!